MIDDLETON PARISH COUNCIL
  MINUTES OF A MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 23 AUGUST 2016
AT THE RECREATION ROOM, CHURCH LANE, MIDDLETON

  Present
  Cllr Gill Keegan (Chair)
  Cllr Peter Rawlins (Vice Chair)
  Cllr Graham Smith
  Cllr Peter Rotherham
  Cllr Jack Everill

  Clerk in Attendance
  John Rowland

  Police Surgery; None this month

  Public in Attendance; David Jenkins, Nick White, Robert Webb

113/16
Apologies. None necessary




114/16
Police Surgery ( Not this month) two matters arising from June visit











82/16/6. Community Speedwatch "Ad" for volunteers will be in August  2016 Middleton Matters. Clerk reported that three volunteers had come forward and that he would notify PC Scot Ramsell accordingly for more details and cost / logistics of such an operation
Clerk



115/16
Declarations of Interest. None




116/16
MCC. This Agenda Item was brought forward as all three members of the public had come specifically to comment on the MCC and potential tenants





116/16/1 Summary of current position (Clerk) The PC had received three "offers" of lease terms via the Agent Burley Browne. The businesses were a)  Dog training for police and armed services animals b) Dance and voice / singing tuition c) Toddler Sensory.





116/16/2 Dog Training. The prospective tenant (PT) had put letters of explanation through the doors of nearby houses and the PC had received strong opposition letters. The PT did not wish to pursue as change of planning use was costly and the opposition would probably stop this use of the MCC





116/16/3 Dance and Voice Training. This was a relatively new business and MPC were concerned about the sustainability plus the initial request for a two year rent free period!





116/16/4 Toddler Sensory. This was a Franchise involved in play / learning activities for children of pre- school age. MPC had spent time talking to them and the Clerk outlined the current position. After a meeting with the business owners the Cllrs (not Cllr Everill as he was ill) and Clerk discussed the terms put forward by business. They wanted 15 months rent free. During the first three months they would carry out alterations some of which would be potentially good for the MCC others were purely to suit their business model. This work included all floor coverings, new toilets, an archway in the main wall, a replacement kitchen after taking down a partition wall, parking using a mesh type material, all electrics, lighting and all decorating. The nature of the business was such that concern was raised about traffic, parking and to a much lesser extent noise. Thus MPC emailed the business with a restriction on operating times. The business replied that they were not a "nursery" where customers left their children all day but a location where parents come bring their children for short sessions and remain there during the sessions. A restriction on hours would not be workable. That reply had been received the day of the PC meeting thus the Cllrs had not had the opportunity to discuss such. Cllr Everill stated that he had been to their existing operation (renting locations on a daily basis) It was well run. He stated that he had concerns on parking (the business had indicated the need for some 30/40 spaces and the traffic.





116/16/5 Discussion about this offer.





         Cllr Everill stated that in his opinion the floor covering did not need replacing as was intended by the business, especially after the recent structural work carried out by local contractors. He also did not agree that the toilets needed upgrading. The suggested "archway" was of no benefit to the MCC nor was the removal of the false ceiling and a new kitchen could be obtained cheaply





         Cllr Keegan stated that the toilets were well overdue for replacement and that the building would benefit by a new floor covering, kitchen etc.  There would be an increased number of sessions and the building would be used in the evenings to show potential clients around. The business did want to have a number of children's parties at weekends and this was in fact advertised on the business notice board at the current Streetly venue





         Cllr Rotherham took the view that this was a "wacky warehouse" in all but name and the traffic in that area of the village would be horrendous





         Cllrs Smith and Rawlins also expressed concern about the traffic, and parking and the operating hours requested which were effectively 24/7 all year








         D Jenkins stated that the proposed mesh type parking system did not work. He was also concerned about traffic and changeover times





         R Webb stated that the rental being asked was ridiculous and far too low. D Jenkins stated that a local business which rented out premises did obtain a higher rent. The Clerk suggested that if anyone could source a potential client willing to pay the 26,000 per annum as suggested by Mr Webb then could the PC please have details. He also stated that two local and professional agents had come up independently with the current rent being asked for the property in its current condition





         N White also was most concerned about traffic and parking in what was already a busy area of the village





         After further comments and discussions mainly on the issues above the Clerk suggested a vote; it was 4 Cllrs against having this business as a tenant (Cllrs Rotherham, Smith, Everill, Rawlins) with one abstention Cllr Keegan





         The Clerk was instructed to contact Melissa Harvey, the principal of the business and inform her of the decision. He would also instruct the agent to install a "To Let" board on the premises and one at the junction of Church Lane with the A4091





         Cllr Everill suggested instructing a marketing consultant and he was tasked and offered to contact two





         R Webb distributed a hand written note giving an "outline" example of a scheme whereby houses could be built on the site in partnership with a builder. The Clerk and other Cllrs stated that this suggestion would have to be the subject of a public meeting





         The Clerk explained the financial position of the PC in that the only income now was the precept and discretionary grant (Total 12500 pa) He would prepare a cash flow forecast for the Cllrs as without the income from a tenant the community would get no benefit from the precept as fixed costs would take up the whole amount





         The Clerk had received a quotation from Nu Homes for three small windows and a front door. Now on hold







117/16
Minutes of a meeting held on 19.7.2016 Agreed and signed by Cllr Keegan (Chair) as correct record of that meeting




118/16
Matters Arising from meeting of 19.7.2016 (and prior where ongoing)





22/16/5 MRRC Cllr Rotherham stated that a meeting of the trustees would be held early 2016. MPC then to meet with MRRC. Cllr Keegan had received a complaint from Mrs D Rowland that the access to the village green was not pushchair friendly. Both Cllr Keegan and Cllr Everill would like this brought up at the next MRRC meetingONGOING
Cllr Rotherham




22/16/6 Church Lane Garages (repairs). Ongoing. Clerk will keep chasing
Clerk










37/16/2 Notice Board (Allen End) Cllr Smith had affected some repairs to avoid the now unnaceptable cost of a replacement
Closed




53/16/3. Footpath entrance. Cllr Rotherham had two "shut the gate" signs and would put them up ONGOING Cllr Everill will do this
Cllr Everill
















86/16/7. Flooding, Green Lane; Clerk had received more sand bags and put in a request for sand. Monitor
Clerk










86/16/7. Green Lane flooding and Belfry. Need to contact Belfry for meeting as that land is having an impact. ONGOING
Cllr Keegan / Clerk




106/16/3 Dog Waste bin. This had been removed by persons unknown. Clerk had checked with Streetscape (Mark Kennel and Deborah Parker) and they categorically stated that Streetscape would not remove anything without PC authority. Clerk had ordered a new one from Gladstone as requested. Cllr Everill would obtain two large lidded bins cheaply
Cllr Everill



119/16
Reports from Councillors





Cllr Keegan























Cllr Rotherham





























Cllr Everill





102/16/7. Clear up after recent floods. Reported that Green Lane had been missed from this action by Streetscape. Clerk had requested that Streetscape clear this up and repair damage to pavement in Church Lane opposite Church. ONGOING
Clerk



120/16
SWT




121/16
HS2




































































































122/16
Village Green Development and related matters






















123/16
Correspondence since 19.7.2016 and issues arising. (list below had been circulated prior to meeting)





  1. Flooding (Ford). Emails to and from Jane Pritchard about debris clearance
  2. Road Closed signs. Email from clerk to Jane Pritchard and a reply from Alan Mycock; "We cannot supply road closed signs as the PC do not have the legal authority to close roads and we do have signs to spare" !!! It is either one or the other. "Our emergency planning unit is looking into the possibility of supplying PCs with some form of signing for them to put out in times of highway flooding" (Clerk note; which bit of if we had some flood and closed signs it would save everyone time and effort are they not quite following!) Clerk to chase
  3. Middleton Lane signs. Email to and from Jane Pritchard about stretch of the Lane from Green Lane to Ash End Farm and our request for warning signs as there are distinct blind spots. Jane has passed this to Traffic and Safety so basically that is that until Clerk chases it! ONGOING CLERK TO CHASE
  4. MCC Letting. To be dealt with in Agenda but email from Steven Hannaford of Burley Browne with his opinion about the broad offer made by Toddler Sensory
  5. Play Area Inspection Report. (a) Site needs a general tidy (b) No high risk categories (c) Tiles lifting on rotating cone (d) rake bark. Full report at meeting
  6. Church Lane Garages; Contact made with Angela Wates at Housing (NWBC) No reply as yet (Case number 233761)
  7. Came & Co (Insurance brokers) Just a letter to say they have merged and will be called Stackhouse Poland Limited
  8. MCC. Email from Cllr Rotherham, copied to Burley Browne on lease points that need to be taken into account
  9. Speed Changes. Following recommendations by Debbie Pointon, there were no objections to lowering the speed on appropriate roads and lanes around Middleton from 60 mph to 50mph. Work will now be carried out on signage and road markings. The PC will receive notification of timing
  10. MCC. Letter put through close proximity housing by business wishing to be considered for the lease of MCC.
  11. WCC; Statement of Community Involvement. Gives broad statement that WCC will involve communities in planning for waste
         Clerk
      Clerk
       Clerk
108/16
Planning





PAP 2016 0073
  Site Coppice garden Centre
  Applicant Coppice Garden Centre Limited
  Detail;  Erection of a building for use as a dog grooming studio
  Comments; Cllr Everill stated that this was already in operation and this was retrospective.
No comments to be made





PAP 2016 0391
  Site; Hillwood Farm Middleton Lane
  Applicant; Mark Delaney
  Detail; Erection of two storey detached dwelling with garage and demolition of existing structures
  Comments; none as away from road and other buildings and existing structures were just derelict





PAP 2016 0319
  Site; Cross Green Farm Green Lane
  Applicant Mr & Mrs Saunders
  Detail; Single storey kitchen extension, carport and porch
  No comments




109/16
Finance (Clerk had given Cllrs a full report prior to meeting)





109/16/1 Balance in Bank as at 21.6.2016 (allowing for unpresented cheques etc) 14440.86





109/16/2 Next Income; Precept September 6250.





109/16/3 Cheques for approval





J Rowland Clerk Salary 527.40 Cn 1886


HMRC on cost re above 131.80 Cn 1887


EON (MCC electricity)  cn 1884 43.99


S Rawlins Grass cutting 106 cn 1888


Glasdon; Two dog waste bins CN 1885 207.64


EON (MCC electricity) cn 1889 20.80





All approved




110/16
Public Questions;  None

111/16
Meeting finished at 10pm

112/16
Date of next meeting Tuesday 23rd August 2016 Recreation Room 7.30pm.


Click here to return to Parish Council Minute Index
Welcome to the Middleton Community Web Site

Download a PDF copy of Minutes